I walked faster, I drank coffee, and I froze my ass off.

NY, NY...

I went to NYC for these last two weeks of December. I missed a lot of fun Christmas festivities in Mexico, but I got to see a city I love, and lots of people I love who live in it. Here's my trip...

First I saw my dad, he picked me up at the airport. We ate at this cute little polish restaurant in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. PIEROGI... mmm! I ventured into the city as soon as I woke up on thursday and walked around the streets with no particular directions or plans. I ended up going shopping ALL DAY. In the evening I met my friend Eduardo in the West Village for dinner. ohh the beautiful Edu. We met at the magical Chautauqua Visual Arts program in the summer of 2008. He's from the DR and he is a SICK painter. He's also hilarious and full of life and love. Can't you tell??

On friday I went to the Whitney. It wasn't that great. There was a Roni Horn show and a Georgia O'Keeffe show. Both O.K. I then met an old friend from my sleep away camp days (Timber Lake Camp) for lunch-ish at this delicious and creative restaurant called Max Brenners. Go if you can. Especially if you like dessert. Danielle and I had a really good time catching up. She's soon to be a lawyer, finishing up at Brooklyn Law. She makes you laugh, a lot. not to mention, she's also kind of GORGEOUS. I made my way home and went to sleep to so I would be as beautiful as possible for my saturday morning venture into the not so pretty part of town...
Co-op City.
this is my amazing Grandpa Rubin. I made a stop in the Bronx to see him. He is almost 94 years old. He is so smart and cute and polish and he loves me more than anything in the world!

I then said goodbye to my dad and drove to Boston on Saturday afternoon. I wanted to beat the snow storm that was predicted to start on saturday night. Well, I MADE IT! Thank god, because look at my car the next morning...and that's after the driveway was plowed.

The snow day canceled all my plans, which ended up being actually really nice. I sat on the couch all day in my pajamas, read a book called Mexican High, ate left over Chinese Food and slept...all bundled up while watching the snow fall. In fact, it was almost perfect. Except it was missing someone. Sunday night I met an old friend from Brandeis, Brooke. She now lives in Austin, texas and is getting her MSSW at UT Austin. She also teaches Naked Yoga. Check out her blog HERE. Serendipitously, Thao (click for more info, great band) was playing the whole time we were catching up in the coffee shop where we met. We used to kind of be their roadies- proudly. As the theme goes with seeing all the people I love on this trip, I forgot to take a lot of pictures. Here's an old picture of Brooke and I, back in the day...


I also had dinner with my friend from high school, Alex Blum, who ended up going to Tufts, JUST so we could hang out during our college years ;) He's a great guy.


On Monday I made my way to Waltham to visit a painter friend from Brandeis. She was my studio mate senior year and she is a really awesome girl, Nichole Speciale. She's now in the post-bac program at Brandeis (i love that program). We did up the Indian Lunch Buffet on Moody St. You really can't go wrong. Check out our plates.



It was so nice to be back in Waltham, just driving around, passing by all my old spots. It felt a little bit like a tiny piece of my home. I also went to Dorchester to visit my painting professor from Brandeis, Joe Wardwell (click for his page). He is a really fun guy, great great teacher, and a sweet painter. I hope to know him for a long time.

After Dorchester I made it to Fenway to cook dinner with my friend Stan. He is doing his PhD in Neuroscience at Harvard and he is russian. He is so fun and so sweet, a great listener, and likes to have a good time. and he made this lamb roast...and I made guacamole, and we drank whiskey and wine and I showed him the PTA Video from Veracruz, Mexico, click on the link, its AWESOME. oh yeah, and he is also the biggest collector of my paintings...

OK ROAST, here!

We also forgot to take a picture together, so I'll post an older one. Stan and I:


After I saw stan, I went to Somerville to crash at Yonits beautiful little apartment.
Here's her shining face.

The next day we went to the ICA to see the Damian Ortega show. It was kinda good. Gotta represent...he's from Mexico City. The ICA Boston is such a beautiful museum with some really open and interesting spaces, this is the view from the windowed wall over the water...



After the ICA, I made an evening trip to Waltham to visit Graham and Alfredo, two of my painting professors from Brandeis. I was SO happy I got to spend a little time with them. They are truly incredible people, and painters. I am so lucky every time I get to learn something from them. And also just enjoy the company and glass of wine. On wednesday I saw my friend Ryan Pressman. He is finishing up his MFA in painting at Boston University. We met at Brandeis when he was a post-bac and I was an undergrad working at the Rose Art Museum together. Those were the days. It was wonderful to see his studio, his paintings, and catch up over a huge plate of nachos. Also, he just got engaged! Mazel Tov Jessie and Ryan!



Thursday was my uncle Alan's 54th Birthday Party. I love this guy. This photo was taken pre-vodlka shots...with all the other 50 year old attendees. Gotta live it up! It made me feel like I was in Mexico for a quick second...thanks guys!!

THEN...I left boston on friday and got back to the city. Saturday I saw my xboyfriend Yoav and went to the New Museum of Contemporary Art and the Guggenheim. OMG GO!!! They have an amazing Kandinsky show up right now, it was packed. The line was around the block all the way to Madison Ave. Sunday I met my mom Cheryl in the city. We saw the broadway show Ragtime (which was OK, and is closing soon) and ate dinner at a mediocre italian restaurant in midtown. Carmine's had a 2 and a half hour wait. No thank you. Here we are at the LIRR tracks...


Monday I met my friend Alex from Brandeis in the City. We went to the MOMA and the Tim Burton show was sold out. There was still awesome exhibitions, the Bauhaus show was spectacular and the Gabriel Orozco show was o.k. And of course not to forget the two floors of modern art always on view. Alex just spent the last 6 months in Buenos Aires, Argentina and she loves art. and spanish. and yoga. and lots of other things. We've had lots of cool experiences together, and always have great conversation, and a shared love of art. She is finishing up Brandeis this semester and will surely combine some sort of Spanish and Art History slash Curatorial interest all together into some fun mix and be amazing at it. (Alex is to my right and her sister Susanna is across from me)...

Tomorrow I will see an old childhood friend, a beautifully sweet soul that I think I will know forever, Sam Brown. Our plans are OPEN. Last day in the city will be an adventure...


Wed I return to Mexico, and I can say, I'M READY!!! A great trip it was, but take me back to D.F...
Love,
Danielle


P.S. These were little things I loved about my trip and wanted to share...

Lots of Menorahs all over Manhattan. I kind of forgot about Hannukah back in D.F., but w/e... its for when you have kiddies anyways.

Pretty much the best Schwarma I've ever eaten. Get off at the Bedford Ave. stop on the L, you will be deliciously full.
SCHWARMA DETAIL:

CLASSIC: Tuna Salad on a toasted everything flagel.

A favorite stop, Veggie Planet in Harvard Square. Here we have Portobello Mushroom Pizza and a very large Caeser Salad.

Rainbow Cookie. The title says it all.




Popular Posts