First Show in DF!



This weekend I participated in my first group show in Mexico City. It was an awesome event and everyone had a really great time, picture proof. It got me extremely motivated and excited to get working on a serious body of work in the coming months. For being here for three months, I have to say I feel extremely fortunate to have made such great friends and meet some really interesting and important people, to have made a home for myself, and to have started to set up a normal studio life.

The show was called Quien Encendio El Fuego? (Who Started the Fire?) and it was put on by Salons Mexico City and the Pillbox Gallery. Here is the poster:


The guerilla advertising for the show was awesome. They made these little flame stickers and posted them all over the city.



This was my blurb:

The concept of this work is about the documentation of progress- from an empty beginning to an unknown and open end. By using the idea of fire, beginning with a menorah structure as a base, I burned candles continuously and allowed each to make their mark in forming a new object. I painted the sculpture as it took form, creating evidence of the unexpected, the imagined and the formal aspects of the work. These works are visual explorations of the concept of ignition, change and the effects and documentation of both.

El concepto de esta obra es sobre la documentación del progreso- de un principio vacío a un final desconocido y abierto. Usando la idea de fuego, empezando con una estructura de Menorah como base, quemé velas continuamente y permití que cada una dejara su marca creando un nuevo objeto. Pinté la escultura mientras se estaba formando, haciendo evidencia de lo inesperable, lo imaginable y de los aspectos formales de la obra. Estas obras son exploraciones visuales del concepto de ignición, cambio, y sobre los efectos y documentación de las dos.

AND TO THE BEST PART!!!


We started at La Ostra to eat some seafood and tequila and beer.


Pais y yo, Fede y Diana, Tonio y Yo



Antonio, Pais, Fede, Pablo Emiliano, Beth infront of my painting...




Fuego Mountain





Another piece by a different artist





A collage by another artist




Me with friends at the show






We ended the night at Barney's in La Condesa. It was perfect.



Next weekend I'm going to Veracruz for the 75th birthday celebration of Pedro Antonio Tejero, the father of one of my best friends here. I'm preparing for that all week with buying a dress, travel plans, etc. The following wednesday I am off to NYC for two weeks to see some art, eat some of my favorite food, see some family and friends, and prep myself for a return con huevos to Mexico City.

UN BESO,
danielle

Popular Posts