Second Day on the Job

I am sitting at the front desk of the Rose Art Musuem and thought it would be a perfect time for an entry. Although I am not on my own computer and don't have access to my art, I see that there are four photos below waiting for commentary. So... I am going to begin with the photograph toward the very bottom.

Untitled for now, this is a digital photomontague that is comprised of five separate images. The realistic portrayal of Jesus on the Cross is common place in Mexico, but for me it is gruesome, intense and evocative. I am making a commentary about religion in general, and specifically in this case, to Jesus Christ.

I personally think that Jesus was probably a very peaceful man who had wonderful ideas about the world and a mellow spirit. But, like other brilliant figures in our history, he was a human being. He probably loved to eat, drink, be merry, have sex, listen to music, be naked (clearly), look at art, read, you get the idea. Among all the craziness, fanaticism and misinterpretation that is embedded in religion today, the idea of Jesus as a fellow human being is lost.

Religion is not just about beautiful ideas, thoughts and philosophies in life (in fact, it probably never was), but instead it has excessively become about worship, contradiction and conflict.

I wanted this work to address these issues so I fused a few images together. Isn't it ironic that hundreds of market places in Mexico sell reproductions of the Aztec Calender with a Jesus affixed to it? And, could Jesus have ever made it this far if he were a woman or is it just about male veneration? Plus, was he into the sausage? Maybe so. Are we all puppets to religion? And really, is there anything up there in that beautiful, evolutionary sky? Here, look.

Popular Posts