Fight for Jesus's affection


I took this photograph in a little street stand in Guanajuato, Mexico. You will find religious paraphernalia everywhere you go in Mexico, almost diminishing the value of the what the figures stand for. I am very intrigued by religion in general and since it is in my face, all the time here in Mexico, there is no better opportunity to explore a religious culture. I have many different opinions on the Jesus figure, the Jewish star, the cross, the Virgin of Guadalupe, or even Minnie Mouse for that matter (Disney World being a religious haven for some, don't doubt it). In this store there were multiple crucified Jesus figures as well as virgins all across the entire wall. I took the packaged little knick knack statue of Minnie, an American icon of a playful and silly female mouse, in love with her similar mate, Mickey. She is just a creation from the pencil of a genius, boop- out of thin air, a creative mind, and into an impressionable world. That is kind of how I see these religious figures, made up and blown up to this iconic images that have many different connotations and play distinct roles in our society. I placed this Minnie right above the Virgin of Guadalupe, as if the two women were vying for the heart of Jesus, Minnie with her cute little "pleeeeeaaaseee" hands clasped together and virgin praying as if she is saying, "take me, im holy." Then there is this Jesus who looks completely empty and dead, nailed down and unable to even move. I just thought it was an interesting composition and relationship of figures (both physically and intellectually) and at the same time, a playful take on religion and iconic figures, having fun, being silly. Aesthetically speaking, the photograph would work better if I would have included the far right hand of Jesus in the frame, and maybe zoomed out a bit to get a little more contextual information within the frame. Also, I could have paid better attention to light and shadow, but overall, I think it works as a photograph. I just arrived in Michoacan, MX and I foresee a long weekend ahead, with lots of walking and lots photographs to be taken. Love, Danielle


Popular Posts