This was my final project for my intermediate painting class last semester. It is a year long class, so this semester we will be creating five paintings of this size. It is 5 feet X 6 feet and it is a self-portrait. It was very intimidating to paint on a canvas this large at first. I stood in front of it and thought, oh shit. But then, with my first strokes of paint, I loved it.
I found it to be liberating and open and easily changeable. So, of the year and a half that I have been painting, this was the most enjoyable piece of art to create. And the most meaningful. When I told my professor that I had no idea what to paint for my final project and that I wanted to convey in my painting how I felt about the world (confusion, passion, complexity, all of these broad concepts) he said, do a self-portrait. He said that if I put all my efforts into creating a portrait of myself, my painting will convey all of my personal ideas and feelings about the world.

Popular Posts