3-d representation of my pictorial space

This was an assignment for drawing class, to create a three dimensional representation of our pictorial space. I know that might sound very abstract to anyone who is not a painter, or even to the many painters in the class who were scared to ask Graham, my teacher, to elaborate, but if you look a couple posts down/up at some of my recent paintings and drawings, this diorama-like 3d creation will make a bit more sense.

Thought: this piece came out kick ass. Not only that, but actually, it proved to be very useful in the making of subsequent drawings and will hopefully continue to inform my work and be a strong reference point. Additionally, I like this object as its own sculpture, though I am hesitant to call it an intentional "sculpture." I want to make sculptures along the same lines as this piece, but I will be very decisive about every detail, like I would when creating a painting, and I will really put a lot of thought into the use of material, the physical boundaries of the piece, size, etc, as I would when making a "sculpture." K, I kind of sucked at making that distinction (3-d piece vs. sculpture). Its almost one in the A.M. so that warrants a little confusion and maybe some grammatical errors. To sum it up, this was more a haphazard attempt at an assignment. and due to its success, I will riff off of it, as Matthew Blackwell would say.



Popular Posts