Roots

I finally finished my cactus painting. I am really happy with the outcome- I wish you could see it in person, because it has such a palpable surface and the texture of the paint becomes so much more apparent when you are standing in front of this piece. I love the colors- I wanted to do something bold and different- I started with the teal and yellow and worked from there. I tried to use some new mediums like Galkyd and Imposto, which was a lot of fun. The affect that they create really shows on the brown/black side of the subject, which is a very shiny finish and highly visible brushstrokes. I worked from a high contrast, black and white photograph that I took of a cactus in Arizona, which has a little bit of meaning attached to it. The size of this painting is 4 ft X 5 ft and it is done in oil. I posted two photos, one cropped right to the edges of the painting and one from a bit farther away, so you can get a sense of the size. Enjoy!



Popular Posts