Painting for Sisty

I was in Arizona this past week for my ridiculously late spring break and sisty (jen) made me make a painting for her new apartment. Thank god, because otherwise I wouldn't have painted over break and man, did it feel SO good. Its just hard when you travel because normally there is no where to buy wood and canvas and staple guns and staples just to build the canvas, then a gallon of gesso to prepare it, then the numerous tubes of paint to paint it, medium to mix the paint, cans to mix them in, brushes, rags, and a safe place to dispose of all of these toxic chemicals. plus, good lighting. now you understand. but it should be done more often, at least on my part. so, thanks jen! anyways, this is the beginning of a new painting. I spent about 8 hours total on it so far. which is really a pointless fact. All i mean is that it is far from finished, though she'll hang it up because she loves me, but the next time I'm back in sizzling AZ, I will go back into the painting.

I am creating this weird little world though that is new for me, if you can't tell. There is this drawing into my painting that is going on and its not figurative and its more abstract and less representational. I don't know, I guess I was way more experimental maybe because I wasn't in my classroom/studio?? new place, different feeling?? I dont know, but it felt great, and I think something really interesting is happening in this painting. Plus, it was my first time ever working with acrylics. weird.

loooove you sis, enjoy.

P.S. **IMPORTANT, these photographs of my work suck. They are blurry and the lighting is bad and I need to stop being lazy and photograph with my SLR. just so you know. and p.p.s. to give you an idea, this painting is about 68 in by 52 in.



Popular Posts