First Painting of the Year!

I am taking the year-long, intermediate painting course again, but the instructor is different. His name is Graham Campbell and so far I am enjoying the class immensely. I feel very lucky because he has been teaching at Brandeis for 28 years and normally teaches Senior Studio (the highest level), but this year he switched to Int. Painting. He is a local artist and is incredibly knowledgeable within the subject (clearly). Most importantly, I am really enjoying his teaching style because he demands a lot from us, gives clear and helpful advice and is like a complex movie- you gotta figure him out.

Our first assignment is a landscape painting. We needed to pick a place to paint on campus and later incorporate a figure into the landscape. I picked my favorite spot on campus (there is a posting about it on this blog from last year with a photo) because I knew it would be challenging and that I would greatly enjoy it. Here are the first few drafts of my paintings, one without the figure, then later, with a self-portrait incorporated. The painting is due on Wed, Oct. 10th, so I will post the finished product by then. It has a long way
to go, but its coming along quite nicely.

Love, Danielle P.S. I have to post this picture below. It is from our Meet the Majors BBQ that the Undergraduate Departmental Representatives for Art organized (I am one of them). It gives you an idea of how quarky, wonderful and unique the art faculty is. This photo is only of a few of the bunch, but I've taken classes with all of them except the woman (Tory Fair) and they are all exceptional people, artists and teachers. You can't help but smile when looking at this photograph. (the male to the far left is Graham, my current painting professor, the one in the middle is Alfredo Gisholt, my intermediate painting professor from last year, his website is linked to my blog CLICK HERE and the one on the far right is Sean Downey, a fairly new and young professor who I had for Drawing last semester).

Popular Posts